If you or your email Administrator has enabled MFA on your Office 365 mail account, you may encounter the error below when signing in to the Scheduling Tool using your email account password.
To sign in to the Scheduler, you will need to create an app password. An app password is a code that gives an app or device permission to access your Office 365 account.
Things to Know about App Passwords
- You should create a separate App Password for each device that uses one.
- The same App Password can be used for multiple applications on the same device.
- Once an App Password is created, there is no way to go back and get the value. You must create a new App Password and delete the old one.
- If an account becomes compromised, it is a standard operating procedure to clear all App Passwords.
- Never install an App Password on a device you do not have complete control over.
- If exposed, App Passwords are dangerous as they bypass the account password and MFA. Keep them in a safe place until you have them safely configured on the device.
To create an app password for use with the Scheduling Tool, please follow the below steps:
- Open a browser on your computer and sign in to Office 365.
- Once logged in, click your profile icon on upper right. Then choose “View Account“
- From the left panel, choose “Security info“. Then click the “+ Add method” on the right.
- Choose “App Password” and click “Add“.
- When prompted, type a name for your app password, and click “Next“.
- Then you can copy the app password to clipboard and paste into the scheduler application sign in instead of using your normal email password. Click “Done” to close the window. (Note: You cannot retrieve the app password once your close the windows. Otherwise, you need to create a new app password.)